Alys Fowler's Apple Rings


We all know of my girl crush on Miss Fowler, I have posted of it before.  After watching her series the Edible Garden, I was given her book on the series for my birthday.

I have made many a recipe from here, including my courgette cake, and they have turned out great.  One of the recipes she made on her series was for homemade apple rings.  It looked so simple, yet delicious, I couldn't wait to have a go.

Last week, my mum gave us a bag full of apples from her ancient apple tree, mainly windfalls as most of the tree hangs in next doors garden now.  I decided to have a go at making the apple rings.


Alys Fowler's Apple Rings Recipe:

Wash the apples thoroughly, discarding any that are too damaged or insect eaten.

Core the apples and slice them into 5mm (1/4 inch thick).

Soak the slices for 10 minutes in a lemon juice solution (she says citric acid, but lemon juice will do) made with a juice of lemon and 400ml (3/4 pint) of water.  This stops the apple rings from becoming discoloured.

I put my rings onto wire racks and put them into a low oven (around 100 degrees) for 3 hours.

Alys dried hers on bamboo poles held over a radiator for a few days (I was too impatient).

The dried apple ring should feel a bit like a chamoix leather and springy to touch, once dried.

Store in an air tight container.

A low-fat moreish snack!





These Apple rings were destined for Charlie's lunch box, but he doesn't like them! 

Oh well, just as well I do!

Yum!

x

Labels: , ,