Google+ Littlegreenshed - UK Lifestyle Blog: seasons... Google+ -->

seasons...


It's the first of September.  How time has flown this past year.  As much as it saddens me that summer is fading, I can't help but smile as Autumn is coming on... I do love this time of year.  

The other evening it was dark and gloomy. I lit candles around the home and loved the warming glow.  

This time of year for me is the best.  I think I am a squirrel at heart.  I love to busy myself in the kitchen making jams and chutneys. Storing pumpkins and squashes high on shelves, waiting to be cut open in the depths of winter and turned into delicious soups and curries.

Dan has started to fill the log pile, ready to fire up the burner on cold winter's nights, he really does enjoy foraging for logs and wielding his axe in the back garden.  He too loves the preparation that this season brings.  I am looking through my recipe books for inspiration and pinning delicious winter warming dishes on to my pinterest board

Preparation.  This to me sums up how I feel about autumn. Becoming prepared for the winter months. Making sure we have the fundamentals, food and warmth that will make the winter months so much easier and more enjoyable.  I say food, I mean home made Sloe Gin in front of the fire! ;-)

I know I don't live in the wilds or mountains and are fairly comfortable in my city home.  But there is something so ingrained in us, something that harks back to days of old, where these simple acts of preparation would save our lives in the darkest months ahead.  

I relish in the change of the season, bringing in acorns and conkers for the boys nature table. Crunching leaves in my wellies and breathing in the damp earthy smell of the woods.  Yes Autumn is the best... I cannot wait.
x

p.s. If you look over to the right you can see my September Loves List is there... go see some beautiful things I've discovered.

p.p.s I am open for September Sponsorship too!


20 comments:

  1. Beautifully written post ! Feeling much more positive now! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a lovely post Lou, makes me look forward to Autumn even more! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather.. Autumn is the best, and the whole count down to christmas, such a magical time..x

      Delete
  3. I love autumn too ... it's my favourite season ... the stove lit, lovely comfort food and walks through crunchy fallen leaves ... whats's not to love ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly... the only thing I am not looking forward to is my youngest starting school... so all my positivity might go pear shaped! x

      Delete
  4. Love it Lou- I too like the winter but still feel a bit cheated over the short, brief summer in Glasgow! Tell me more about keeping the squash? I need to do that to, Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo... right the squash thing. If squashes have been picked and ripened correctly by the farmer then they can be stored for up to 6 months in a coolish spot. I buy mine (if my allotment is pretty crap like this year) from the farmers market or my local green grocer. He buys his from a local supplier. I buy one a week til he stops selling them. So by mid autumn I should have about 10 squash/pumpkins. I put them on my top bookshelf out of direct light and out of the way. Last year I stored a crown prince squash til Feb this way. And made the best curry out of it. Plus.... they look good too. Perfect Autumn decor. x

      Delete
  5. Sloe gin in front of the fire is a winner! Lovely post, conjures up such comforting autumn pursuits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, most definitely. Have you tried plum vodka? Or Blackberry vodka. Both are amazing and perfect fire side tipple too! x

      Delete
  6. Hmmm, I feel an early autumn tipple-creating project coming on. Made limoncello last year which was great but plum vodka sounds fabulous! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOO limoncello! Now your'e talking. Must make some of that. x

      Delete
  7. Lou, I am so with you here. I LOVE autumn, it's my favourite season by a mile - something about the preparing for the coming cold months. What a lovely post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are definitely far more up for autumn than me! I am still reluctantly hoping for a last bit of summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah me too... feet in both camps. I am trying to remain positive about all. x

      Delete
  9. Oh Lou this is such a gorgeous, gorgeous post. And it made me think, oh there is an unopen bottle of vodka on my shelf and blackberries down the lane - I know what I'm doing today! And crown prince squash is one of the best things in the world. Yip, roll on Autumn days and food. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Jen. You won't be disappointed! x

      Delete
  10. I can't even think of autumn yet- going to tropical Cairns in October, just feels all a bit wrong as I'm still stocking up on little cotton dresses and shorts for the girls while In can still buy them! Must get into squirrel mode though, I really did enjoy last years blackberry vodka on our hols, so mustn't miss out! I'm off to look at your yummy autumn recipes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Yeah stop rubbing it in! I'd rather be swimming in the great barrier reef than stomping through brown leaves any day! But as I can't.. I am making do! ;-) xx

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment... I love to hear from you. Have a great day! Lou x