Creative Juice - Hand printed cushion...

hand printed lino block cushion cover - www.littlegreenshed.blogspot.co.uk

Last Saturday I had the joy of having the afternoon to myself.  With the strict instructions of 'no working'.  I finally did something I've always wanted to.... print my own fabric to make cushion covers.

I already had all the tools to make it.  Why I haven't done it before now is bonkers!  Here is what I did.

Tools:

Lino 
Pencil
Lino cutting knife
Fabric paint - I used Black
Paint Brush
Sponge
Linen fabric
Grey thread
Sewing Machine
Cushion pad

1. Draw your shape with the pencil onto the lino block
2. Carefully cut it out using the knife.
3. Brush or sponge the ink onto your shape. - I started at the top and worked along width ways.  I also added an arrow to the back to ensure my triangle faced the right direction each time.
4. Continue re-inking and block printing as you go.  I liked the faded patterning, so re-inked every 3 prints.
5. Once finished leave to dry.
6. When dry, iron your fabric on a medium/cool heat to fix it.  I used a clean towel in between the iron and fabric to protect.
7. Ready to sew.  I used the simple envelope method. I find zips tricky to sew!
8. Insert pad.

Voila!

You can see the triangles have a texture, this is the brush strokes when applying the ink to the lino.  I quite like it.  If you prefer use a sponge or roller for a more even tone.

Here are more pics of my lounge...

hand printed lino block cushion cover - www.littlegreenshed.blogspot.co.uk

Lounge shelves - www.littlegreenshed.blogspot.co.uk

Lou's Lounge - www.littlegreenshed.blogspot.co.uk

No styling, not even tided up (you can see the ash on the burner!).

I hope you might give it a go, make your own fabric.

Labels: ,