Styling the seasons - January...




So the Christmas decorations have been taken down and put back in the loft for another year.  The house always seems so empty, the space open and bigger.  For the first time, this year, I liked it.  A blank canvas to re-arrange things, finding new spots for my treasures.

January, to me, is the month of repair and preparation.  The tax return. The sorting of the house, de-cluttering and always DIY.  So to style the mantle I wanted it to reflect that minimal feeling. A muted palette of blues, greys and natural elements.  Seed heads collected from the garden in Autumn, naturally dried take pride of place here.  I like how their gentle forms add structure and colour to the arrangement.

I have gathered my crystals into one area.  Amethyst and quartz bought on my travels in India. A constant reminder of warmer climes and of days when I was carefree and wild. A group of Amethyst crystals can be used to keep the air and life force in the home clean and positive, something which we can all do with this time of year. 

The ceramic pot with the blue swirly lines is a new purchase from Papersmiths.  It's meant to be a plant pot, and I shall use it as that as soon as I can find the perfect plant for it.  I'm thinking perhaps a baby pilea or something that trails.

So, what does January mean to you.  How do you style it?

Have a look at my previous styling the seasons posts here.

P.S. If you would like to join in with Styling the Seasons, all you need to do is style a surface in your home to represent what that month means to you. Share a shot of your styled surface and use the hashtag #stylingtheseasons.   As part of Katy and Lottie's styling the season collaboration project. 


Labels: