Nature in the Home - May Day Posies - a pagan tradition...


Happy May Day!
I can't quite believe that this magical day is truly here.  May is the best month.  Hedgerows take on a fairy like quality.  Frothy cowparsley, the soft blues of the bluebells, tall pink spires of foxgloves... then in the trees the last of the May blossom, lilacs and wild honeysuckle.  The smell is intoxicating.  Mother nature is at it's best.

Today marks the start of Nature in the Home for 2014. Over the past few weeks on Instagram I have urged you to join me in reviving the ancient Pagan tradition of flower baskets.  A beautiful notion to anonymously leave small posies of flowers on friends and neighbours doorsteps, to mark May Day and the start of Summer.

I discovered this old tradition last year whilst researching May Day for an article I was writing.  I thought it was such a lovely idea I decided to hand out a few jam jars full of cut flowers from my garden to friends. This year my garden is a little sparse, so I had to go Flower Scrumping! Yes, with seceteurs in hand, I tramped round the parks and woodlands in search of my flower bounty.
I was so pleased to find a lilac bush and a seriously beautiful honeysuckle.  Using old jam jars (saved for jam making), some garden twine, I set about making small flower jars to hang from door knobs.  With First Aid Kit accompanying me whilst I 'worked' making my posies.

This morning, I hung them from my friends doors.  I hope they like them.  You can see for yourself, if you hop over to Instagram and use the hashtag #NITHMayDay.  Or follow us on Twitter.

Nature in the Home will be back weekly, just as before.  Look out for some interesting posts coming in the future...

If you have joined us, please add your link below... this could be a link to your blog or Instagram image.  I'd love to see.


An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: